Thursday 28 August 2008

Na na na na, don't you leave me?

MySpace Music Tour Brazil
Ecos Falsos + Mallu Magalhães (16+)
Studio SP, São Paulo, Brazil, 27th of August @ 8PM

9.5 out of 10

Bloody impressive. That's the right sentence to describe Mallu Magalhães' live performance.

Obviously the fact that the venue was small and it wasn't that busy (well, we have to consider that Brazilian tube closes at midnight and it was a wednesday, when normal people are studying, working or resting at their homes - if i'm honest, we don't go to gigs during the week, that's the real truth!) made her performance even nicer. But, wow, it was just great.

I got there about 8.10pm (it was meant to start at 8pm) all worried thinking "oh dear, it will be all full! oh dear! oh dear!". I got there, stayed for about one hour in this huge queue and finally got in.

About 9pm, their support band, Ecos Falsos was on stage. First of all, it was just strange that they kept swapping instruments all the time. They played the first song, then the bassist started playing the guitar, the guitarist was playing an acoustic guitar, and the other guitarist was playing the other guitarist's guitar. All confusing, I know. They kept doing this until their last song. I think they should stop changing instruments between them and start learning a bit more about each one's . The two guitarists were also the vocalists and, well, they have to have some singing lessons as well. The lyrics were awful ("I'm just sentimental when I'm fucked up") and... ew. They were rubbish, that's it.

It was 10pm and there was me: all worried about how to go back home. 15 minutes later, Mallu Magalhães and her band started playing. An amazing guitarist, an okay drummer, keyboardist and bassist were with her. I particularly find the bass useless (I actually heard his instrument in one or two songs!).

All happy and pretty, Mallu sang some great songs such as "Tchubaruba", "J1", "Don't You Leave Me" and "Don't Look Back". Also, some new ones which will probably be on her debut album soon and Johnny Cash, The Beatles and Caetano Veloso's cover songs. I think her voice was a bit lower than usual, but she was still singing with her brilliant techniques. Talking to the crowd all the time, she kept smiling. The nicest thing is that she is really confident on stage and her English accent (even with it being a bit American, in my opinion) sounds like a native speaker most of the time.

Her last gig with 15 years old (sweet 16 tomorrow for her) was amazing. I don't know why but people kept taking pictures of my friends and I. They might be on MySpace soon and I hope they are not too embarrassing!

Can't wait to see Mallu again on her biggest performance ever at Planeta Terra Festival, on the main stage before Kaiser Chiefs (woohooo!). Also, I'm also looking forward to see Foals in it (sorry, Jamie! I know you hate them, but well... they are good!)

Listen to Ecos Falsos:
http://www.myspace.com/ecosfalsos

Listen to Mallu Magalhães:
http://www.myspace.com/mallumagalhaes
http://www.myspace.com/musictourbr

Cheers!

Credits: Má Panhota, for the picture at flickr.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow.... very jealous of you and Nuno... cant wait to see Mallu with you... possibly at the joiners? ;)

NunoJk said...

very jealous ...
ahaha, sorry baby i saw the show.. and she is not lie ,people, the show was amazing ...
and also the "hot pocket sadia" hummmm \0.
the blogspot is very nice !!!!


!
Nunojk